February 28, 2011

Opinion Post

Please leave a comment about your opinions on the following things:

1. Teaching your baby sign language
2. Job/Chore charts for toddlers
3. Best activity you do with a child (baby-toddler)
4. Your baby/toddler's favorite food
5. Pets for your baby: good or bad?

6 comments:

  1. 1. Teaching your baby sign language: If used at the correct age and used correctly is awesome.. if used when ur child should start talking can be horrible... because you are only delaying ur childs speach. ur teaching them to use their signs instead of their words.

    2. Job/Chore charts for toddlers: um idk about this. I think its silly. make cleaning fun... not a chore. especially at a young age when they don't know any better. lol. idk.

    3. Best activity you do with a child (baby-toddler) singing... dancing... talking... about nothing. playing peekaboo or patty cake. anything to make her smile.

    4. Your baby/toddler's favorite food- right now cottage cheese... or RAMON. is that horrible?? haha.

    5. Pets for your baby: good or bad? Depends on the pet...i think cats are horrible. but i personally would wait till my children are a little older. but i'm sure they are good.

    these were hard questions... made me think. i don't like thinking. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I totally think sign language is awesome for your babies. We started Madelyn on it around 10 months. It has helped so much! She hardly ever fusses because she shows us what she wants. Now that she's talking..she does the sign as well and saying what she wants. So it really hasn't hindered her talking ability at all. She has a huge vocabulary so I don't think sign language can cause any problems with talking.

    2) I don't know if job charts are the best...but I think cleaning up and helping mom/dad is important.

    3) Anything! i think spending lots of time w/your baby is important. Lately we go around the house and she'll point to stuff and I'll say, "fridge" "toilet" "towel" etc...she's learning what things are and she's trying to say them with me.

    4) Favorite food...pickles right now!! she loves them!!

    5) I think pets are not good. I've heard way too many stories about dogs/cats suffocating babies in their sleep by laying on their faces. So there will be no pets in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. ABSOLUTELY. I've already started a teensy bit with James.

    2. Hm. Let me know how that works out but having them learn to help is super necessary.

    3. James and I love to read books. :) And yes, I started him on Robert Frost and Max Lucado already...because I can.

    4. Peaches and broccoli - but he'll pretty much eat ANYTHING

    5. No. Way. But I don't like animals anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. We just ordered all of the "Baby Signing Time" DVDs from Amazon and are going to start letting Rylee watch them and we're going to start teaching her. I think it could be really good or really bad. I'll have to let you know which. :)

    2. I agree: chores should be fun for little ones. But, I also think a chore chart could help to make it fun if your toddler helps decorate it or something. Then they can be proud of it.

    3. The funnest thing I do with Rylee is just to get down on the floor and play with her. Its good for both of us. :)

    4. She LOVES bananas and baby cheetos. AND yogurt bites.

    5. I'm trying to talk Chaz into letting us get some fish... does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Signing i awesome for children! Do it! And it's fun for mommy too.

    2.I am all for chore charts. Toddlers love to help Mommy and showing them how much they've helped can be very satsifying to them.It's just another way to bond.

    3.Seth loves to see me dance. So we dance together to Disney songs.

    4.Um... He likes pears alright. Hates green beans and bananas though!

    5.I don't think pets like dogs or cats are good because babies don't know how to be soft yet and can get hurt, but it's good to be around them to prevent allergies later on. But fish are awesome! Seth looooves watching fish. It's cool for them to see new creatures.

    3.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So the reason why I am not a fan of signing... I know someone (family member) that intruduced signing when the child should start speaking.... I spoke to my doctor and he says signing is great but when introduced before speach (its a great way for them to tell you what they want before they start using their words) this person I know intruduced it at the wrong time... and now her children have speach problems... use signs instead of speaking even though they know how to speak... I'm not against it at all... I just personally feel that our mothers didn't do sign language (at least not mine) and me and my siblings all spoke at an early age... and quite well. So I wont be teaching my children signs. But go moms who are committed to learning sign language and using it correctly!!! :)

    ReplyDelete