The Giver is a Newbery Medal Award winner. I think everyone and their mom has read this book.
Except for me.
So, I decided to finally read this book that everyone has read.
I read it in one night. However, I didn't really like it. I thought it was quite disturbing. Fairly good, but disturbing. There was one point in the book where I could pick out the symbolism of our Savior's sacrifices, but in general, it seriously disturbed me. I couldn't stop thinking about "the Release", and the end where they find "Elsewhere". Not my favorite.
Opinions of the book if you've read it?


I read it too--I believe after seeing it on Annette's Book Barn.
ReplyDeleteVery thought provoking book I thought. However, I do agree there were some disturbing parts, especially if you have kids. And if I remember correctly the ending was really vague and I didn't care for that. I doubt I'd read it ever again.
There were some disturbing parts and frankly I couldn't make heads or tails of the ending - real or figurative? - but I liked it overall. The thing that touched me about this book is the message of how important it is to feel, both the good and the bad, and how lucky we are to experience that. It was heart-breaking when Jonas asked his parents if they loved him and they didn't know what love was. Those "perfect" dystopian societies are never perfect.
ReplyDeleteI loved The Giver. Audrey, my 12 year old, really did, too. Disturbing is good: books that push you beyond your usual thoughts are what we need. Nathan has some "breaks your soul like an ice pick" quote he has affixed to our bookshelf that I don't quite agree with, but I like books that give me sparkly thoughts.
ReplyDeleteLois Lowry has 3-4 other dystopian/kind of post-apocalyptic books that are grand as well: Gathering Blue, Gossamer, and Messenger. Messenger unites characters from Gathering Blue & the Giver, so if you want more (what happens next), then Messenger might answer some questions, though it does so obliquely.
A Newbery journey is an excellent idea. I've done similar, as well as with Pulitzer, National Book Award, and Nobel Lists.