March 16, 2011

BoNk!

Today Lexi got a concussion. Yeah, a concussion. Yikes.

Here's what happened:

I was checking my email and such and Lexi got on her saucer chair - backwards. She was rocking back and forth and fell backwards and smacked her head real hard on the table leg.
Of course I felt like an awful mother because I didn't see her playing on her chair backwards but I just thought it was another little bonk. A bonk for Lexi is always scary because of her brain, but they are always just fine.
This time however, she would only cry and snuggle, so I decided to just sit in the rocker to calm her down. She pointed to her bottle that was sitting on her dresser, so I decided to give her a little bit. She didn't drink much, and was still upset so I reached for the Tylenol. As soon as I reached for it, Lexi threw up allllllllll over her room - she covered her, me, the chair, the footrest and the floor.
Definitely an indication of a concussion.
So, I called Terrell and told him to come home, and then called up my wonderful friend Jaycee to come hold Lexi while I starting the clean-up process. (thanks Jayc!)
When Terrell got home we took her to the doctor. Luckily her pediatrican was still there from this morning (we had a check up) and so she got seen right away. Lexi checked out okay which was relieving because we were worried about her brain! She just got a concussion and we have had to watch her real careful to see if she'd have any seizures, more vomiting, etc. She had to stay up for another 4 hours (she'd already been up for 4!!!!) to make sure she retained conciousness, but she HAD to take a nap after waiting 2 hours, so I just woke her up every 30 min to make sure she was doing okay.

Oh, Lexi. One year old and already had a concussion. Too bad she knows how to take her helmet off! :(

6 comments:

  1. LEXI! :(
    It doesn't help much that she is so adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, concussions are not fun. M had one after a sledding incident and Ethan had to carry her to the car because she couldn't stand up and could barely keep her eyes open. It was a little freaky.

    Glad she is doing well--except for the vomiting. That's always a joy to get all over you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ack! I hope she is okay!! I hope YOU'RE ok! Lemme know what you need & when you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not fun. For you or cute Lexi. I'm glad everything is ok...I wish kids would stop bonking their heads after a certain age, but it hasn't happened yet for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last comment was from me, but I was on Britt's computer! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete